Geriatric Care Management
Alorin Harris, LCSW-C, is a case manager at Specialty Care Services, a position she’s held since December 2010. In this rewarding role, Ms. Harris coordinates care for patients served by Montgomery County’s Dept. of Aging and Disabilities, Home Care Division.
After receiving her Masters of Social Work in 1986 from the Catholic University of America, Ms. Harris went on to hold several social work positions. After being employed by a hospital, in private practice, and at Child Welfare Services, Ms. Harris discovered that her passion involved geriatric care, particularly helping elderly patients maintain their independence, dignity, and quality of life as they aged.
She went on to earn a Post Master’s Certificate in Geriatric Care Management in 2010.
Ms. Harris, a lifelong Montgomery County resident, lives in Darnestown, MD with her family. When she’s not busy helping patients, Ms. Harris likes to go antiquing, refinish and hand-paint furniture, build dollhouses, and travel.
- Conduct care planning assessments
- Screen, arrange, and monitor home care services
- Review financial, legal, or other issues and offer referral information
- Provide family intervention services
- Act as liaison to families out-of-town
- Escort clients to medical appointments
- Assist with arrangements for “move-ins” to facilities
- Provide family counseling and support
What are the benefits?
- Access to personalized services that meet the specific needs of each client
- Assistance provided for long-term caregivers
Who uses Care Managers?
- Senior Housing Communities
- Social Service Providers
How are fees covered?
- Private Pay (generally not covered by insurance)